- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or pickling salt*
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 large sprigs fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- (optional) 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more/less to taste
- 1 large English hothouse seedless cucumber, sliced into rounds or spears
- Add the water, vinegar, salt, peppercorns, garlic, dill and bay leaf to a large (1-quart) jar — or divide the mixture evenly between two small (1-pint) jars — and stir to combine.
- Add the sliced cucumbers to the jar(s). Then place the lids on the jar(s), and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate ideally for at least 2 days before eating, although you can totally dive in before that time. The pickles will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*Do not use iodized table salt for this recipe.
**Feel free to stir in some sweetener (honey, sugar, etc.) if you’d like sweeter pickles.
Get creative!! Use all of that squash you don't know what to do with! Use those peppers, beans, you name it!